Thursday, July 29, 2010

Running to Heal Depression

Writing for the Washington Post, Daniele Seiss describes how running saved her life. Like many depression sufferers, she started with therapy. When that didn't work, mammoth cocktails of medications were added: a tricyclic antidepressant, SSRI and SNRI medications.
But therapy proved emotionally draining and often left her feeling worse. The medications were either ineffective or lost their effectiveness over time, and they often had terrible side effects that made normal life impossible.

And then she discovered running. She soon experienced dramatic improvement in her mood and her life. To read her full story, click on the link below.

Sources:

Washington Post September 15, 2009

Like Daniele, I've suffered from depression my entire life. I was hospitalized at the age of fourteen the first time. I've had at least ten more hospitalizations in the years that followed. Some were voluntary, and some weren't.

I don't suffer from your garden variety depression. I have Bipolar Disorder as well as Borderline Personality Disorder and PMDD (Pre-Menstrual Dysphoric Disorder). All that on top of being a recovering addict.

I've been seeing a psychiatirist for nearly five years now. We've tried every SSRI and every Mood Stabilizer known to man. Mostly I am just extremely sensitive to things - like sugar. If I eat sugar (in any form) I go crazy. I have crying spells and gain five pounds in two days. Not only do I have to watch what I eat, but I must follow a daily routine of prayer, exercise, proper nutrition and I have to make sure I take my medication. Believe it or not, on some days, I just don't want to do anything I'm supposed to. I want to reach for a donut and a crack rock in one hand and a beer and a joint in the other. That's just the old addict in me.

But instead, now, I run.

No comments:

Post a Comment