Friday, July 30, 2010

Early Morning Runs

I live in Pensacola, FL, where summer heat indexes are well above 102 degrees in late July and August. For the most part I try not to even go outside. At all. I'm not friends with the heat index. When I see people running down Bayou Blvd. at 3 o'clock in the afternoon, I wonder if they should have their brains checked. Why would anyone want to run in the heat?

Alas, I am a morning person. I think I may have been a rooster in my last life...I get up THAT early.

First wake up is at 2AM and I literally have to force myself to go back to sleep. Second wake up is at 4AM and this time hunger motivates me and I actually have to get up. Finally, at 5 AM when the light begins to creep through my windows, I get out of bed.

Funny thing, though..I've been sleeping in my running gear so that all I have to do is get out of bed and put on my socks and shoes. No excuses!

Back to the Heat Index. WTF is with running when it's 110 degrees? I don't think you'll ever catch me doing it unless there is a suitcase filled with one million dollars in it at the end of the run.

My idea of "Cool Running" is getting up at the crack of dawn and running when the daytime LO temp hits...usually about 4 or 5am.

I don't see that changing anytime soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment