Friday, July 30, 2010

Run and DIE?

The name Marathon comes from the legend of Pheidippides, a Greek messenger. The legend states that he was sent from the battlefield of Marathon to Athens to announce that the Persians had been defeated in the Battle of Marathon (in which he had just fought),which took place in August or September, 490 BC. It is said that he ran the entire distance without stopping and burst into the assembly, exclaiming "Νενικήκαμεν" (Nenikékamen, 'We have won.') before collapsing and dying.

And that's exactly what I picture myself doing if I ever run a marathon, except that I see myself dropping dead long before the finish line. Maybe it's because I'm turning 40 this year, or maybe it's because I've become habitually lazy since High School, but 26.2 miles seems a tad more insane than, say, I dunno...smoking crack and not eating for 10 days straight. (Gee, now that I've put it in perspective, I think running a marathon seems easy.)


If I can stay awake for ten solid days with barely any food, then BY JOVE I CAN RUN A FREAKIN MARATHON ONE DAY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment